Logo

Logo
ppi wellington logo

JUARA II CERPEN 2012

Saturday, August 18, 2012

THE BATTLE OF SURABAYA
Oleh Ahmad Fachry Agam.

The war began…

Boots tramped. Mud splattered as the men slowly marched their way across the desolate plains. A melancholy feeling descended as I, and probably all the others fighting this cold war thought about all our family we left at home. The kampong, villages we used to live in back in the lush forests of Surabaya, or I should say the beautiful lands of Indonesia. I could see the other army climb down the rugged hills, once a paradise, now abandoned and destroyed as their expressionless eyes met ours.

Suddenly a huge explosion rocked our world. My eyes were blinded and I slowly stood up, numb. That was a mistake. Gunfire exploded and I quickly threw myself flat to the ground. Bullets whizzed above and I could feel the tremors as mortars blew earth and mud. I felt the ground shake and was swept in front of the men charging. I braced my long, yet seemingly strong bamboo spear in front of me as I slowly descended into a world of mud and war. 

I remembered once, there was a time when we lived in peace. We lived with harmony, obeying the laws of nature and being kind and helpful. And not being greedy. To love and share. But now…

I could see my comrades falling to the ground all around me. Slammed my rifle butt into the head onto an enemy beside me. Suddenly my rifle discharged, exploding and cinders shooting out. I quickly threw it away to the ground beside me. Smoke billowed and I suddenly saw all their guns aimed at me as they looked where the smokescreen had come from. I quickly ducked down as I saw bullets spray the ground around me. Pew Pew Pew! And then the noise was lot to the war. Swords locked, rain started to fall in big splashes, and soon we were sinking into mud. I could hear more guns firing as the scene dissolved into chaos.  I jumped back as a bullet seemingly sprouted into the ground beside me. I could see mud, blood and dust, like a dark storm, fly into my face and mud in my eyes as I shouted my war cry and stabbed my spear forward. A young man sliced his bayonet and I quickly discovered their way of fighting was very different. Grabbing my spear with two hands, I slammed it at the man’s gun. His bayonet locked against my spear, both straining to overcome the other. 

Suddenly we were lost by a rush of men running to, the reinforcements. But there was no cheer. The war was just prolonged. And then we charged again. Mortars struck, mines exploded and I could see men flying through the air. A metallic taste filled my mouth as we struck down man after man. Soon we were lost in the pattern: Stab, duck, stab, parry. The sky was blood red, and the ground same. Soon we were staggering across no man’s land. I drew my sabre as a man swung his broad sword at me. I quickly knocked him out with the flat of my blade, then ducked as a sword sang threw the air above me. A man with a long, long mustache swung his sword, and we locked hilt. Suddenly he twisted in one of those strange sword moves, and disarmed me. I kicked him in the stomach. Ouch. Then explosions shook the ground and all I could see was mud everywhere. Wet and muddy, we struggled through the mud, our hands slippery and our morale low.

When was this war going to end?

Grabbing my spear, I stabbed at the young man in front of me. The Dutch soldier drew back, and with one swift swipe of his sword he lopped of the head of my spear. Splinters from the stick spiked into my hands and I could feel the raw sting. But instead of standing there in shock, I smashed the bamboo stick at him, causing his hand to spasm and his sword to fall. Grabbing the sabre, I slammed the hilt into his stomach then kicked, the thin man falling back then finally slipping into the sticky mud. I prepared to end the man’s life. But then I realized that it’s also my war, so I have a choice. My sword wavered in the air as I pondered on my decision. I drew back sword and tossed it away. Holding out my hand, I help the man up. Shocked, but relived to be alive, the man stared for a seconded and then jumped back into the melee. I looked at the battle, and knew that this was a war, worlds away from me. I have to stop this war. To save the people.

Suddenly the earth shook. The few trees left in shivered. A tank drew up, its massive size out scaling all the men.
But deep inside I knew what to do.
“Stop!” I commanded, running up to the tank. “We have to stop this war!”
I looked up to the great tank. The army froze its fight. And then suddenly a blinding flash seared my senses. I could see darkness drawing and I let go.

But now, in most places thanks to the acts of many people, should I say Heroes, the world is safe and we can roam with freedom and happiness. So far the war maybe over,  but the battle is still going in Indonesia for the best and free education. So we should help those who aren’t so lucky.

0 comments:

Post a Comment